Fixing the ‘Unfixable’ – A LONG term solution
The objective of our various training programs is to address your dog’s separation anxiety from the root of the issue. While some resources online may have mentioned the ability to provide quick fixes for separation anxiety, please know that these likely aren’t really fixing the real issue: anxiety. Anxiety in dogs is experienced differently for each, thus the need for customized programs for every dog facing separation anxiety.
How do the below training programs work?
We believe the only way to treat separation anxiety is through individualized training protocols. We ask that you ‘sign a contract’ or ‘shake hands’ with your dog, promising that you’ll never leave her alone longer than she can handle. Once you are able to make this contract, a systematic desensitization training plan will need to be put into place by a Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer (CSAT) or yourself, depending on the program you choose.
Separation Anxiety is most effective when done remotely, within your own home and with the use of video technology. This technology is truly very simple and can typically include anything from your laptop, a tablet, your smartphone or an inexpensive easy to use camera that we can advise you to purchase if needed for some reason. Don’t worry! You don’t have to be super tech savvy to get this part right! You can read more on the benefits of remote training for separation anxiety here.
Monthly Remote Training Protocol with CSAT
Separation anxiety training is a gradual process and because it is a complex behavior, we work extremely closely with our clients, 5 days a week. We create individualized daily exercises (which we call Missions) and provide considerable feedback regularly.
We require a 4 week minimum commitment as this is the very least amount of time that we feel we can start to get a beginning foothold on the behavior and start teach you how the separation anxiety protocol works.
- Daily Mission creation (5 days a week) – take the guesswork out of your training plan! We create your very individualized training exercises each day based on what your personal dog needs.
- Daily cheerleading, support and feedback (5 days a week) – you are not alone in any way as you go through your separation anxiety journey. We have worked with many hundreds of separation anxiety clients and we understand your needs.
- Weekly live online assessments with you and your dog – not only will we be in touch in our shared notes, one additional day a week we will meet with you live to assess your dog and to chat more in depth about any questions or concerns that may be cropping up.
- Proprietary system of progress and data tracking – we know that dogs are sentient beings and as such sometimes progress is not linear. We take great care to watch the trajectory of the dog’s progress and go through the data with a fine-tooth comb to make sure we can tease out any nuances along the way.
- An entire team of experts with eyes on your case – our team of certified separation anxiety trainers not only have a very active online discussion community, but we also meet live once weekly to collaborate on cases and help support each other. So not only do you get the expertise of your personal CSAT, but the collective assistance of the entire group of incredibly skilled professionals from around the world.
Ad Hoc Remote Training Support
For those just looking for a one-time discussion about their dog and how to proceed on their own, we can help. Sometimes guardians get stuck when they are working on their own protocol and we can help get them through some of the tough spots. Additionally, trainers that are working with separation anxiety cases oftentimes want to review their plan with us and we are more than happy to do so.
A one-hour consultation either via phone or using online software such as Zoom or Skype.
Price to be determined based on your needs.
Mission: POSSIBLE – Online Separation Anxiety Course
Malena has created an online, self-paced course for guardians looking for a do-it-yourself approach. This course provides participants with an array of information about treating separation anxiety in dogs.
You will learn about the disorder, listen to interviews with professionals and previous clients, plus receive a step-by-step guide to follow throughout the course. Malena’s hope is that you will successfully implement a training protocol for your dog with the guidance of the online course material.